With more and more people joining social media sites and using them daily, the social media industry is booming. Facebook has more than two billion users worldwide, there are 330 million monthly active users on Twitter, YouTube has over two billion users, and Instagram reaches over a billion active users. It is estimated that almost 3.1 billion people will be using social media by 2021.
The wave isn’t ending anytime soon and entrepreneurs must take full advantage social media if their business is to survive. Designing a solid social media strategy can add value to your business and ensure that your marketing strategy is complete.
Here are the reasons entrepreneurs must use social media:
- The world needs to know you exist. Social media will increase your brand awareness and let the world know what your business does. If you put social media on the back-burner, you will get left behind. Research the platforms your customers use and create social media accounts on those networks.
- Receive feedback on your products and services. Social media is the best place to interact with clients and potential clients in a quick, easy and informal way. You can ask your social media following questions and use their feedback to better your offering. Involving your customers in your business journey can help you build a loyal following.
- Generate leads and attract potential customers. By promoting your brand on social media, you can reach audiences interested in purchasing your product or service.
- Create meaningful connections. Social media offers you the chance to expand your network and interact with potential customers, employees, partners and investors in your industry.
- Find support. Entrepreneurship can be a lonely journey. Make use of social media’s online community to share your experiences, find likeminded people and mentors and create real-life relationships from online support groups.
Create a social media marketing strategy for your business:
- Have a solid plan. Write down the goals and objectives you want to achieve. Make sure your social media goals are inline with your overall marketing plan. Once you have a plan, break it down into actionable steps.
- Research and get to know your audience. Once you know who your audience is on social media platforms, you are better equipped to sell them your product or service. If you can pinpoint your audience’s needs and desires, you become more than just a faceless brand, you become a business that cares.
- Use competitions to increase your visibility, engagement and following. Offer your audience something irresistible in return for liking and sharing your content.
- Consider your content carefully. You cannot use social media if you don’t carefully consider the content you post on each platform, according to its purpose. Creating great content involves addressing your audience directly, sharing useful and interesting information, using different types of content and connecting with your following in a meaningful way.
- Dump traditional sales methods. Your followers want to be engaged and they want to build a relationship with your business. Gaining their trust will ensure they buy your product or service.
- Use video content. Video content has become key to the success of brands present on social media. A combination of live videos and regularly recorded videos will help your audience get to know you.
- Use the right tools. Decide on a social media automation tool to schedule your content according to your business’s needs. Social media management tools are useful to measure your success and your social media presence.
- Promote your content. By paying social media platforms to advertise your brand, you can maximise the number of people who see your content and increase your business goals - whether it be driving traffic to your website, gaining followers or increasing sales.
- Follow the trends. Staying ahead of the game is crucial in social media marketing. Make sure you are on top of the changes and developments on each platform you use.